Bihar Police Constable
The Bihar Police Department is the law and order and law enforcement agency for the state of Bihar, India. Bihar Police comes under direct control of Department of Home Affairs, Government of Bihar. The Bihar Police is headed by a Director General of Police (DGP). The state is divided into four zones (Patna, Muzaffarpur, Darbhanga and Bhagalpur), each commanded by an Additional Director General (Addl. DGP/ IPS officer) or an Inspector-General (IGP/ IPS). Each zone is divided into two to three ranges, each commanded by a Deputy Inspector-General. Within each range are anywhere from three to six districts, each under a Superintendent of Police. Patna is under a Senior Superintendent of Police.
Bihar Police Academy is the government institute for training of state police officers in the state of Bihar. The academy's new campus is located in Rajgir.
The Academy is the state police training institution for the state of Bihar. The institute provides training to new police recruits in the ranks of Deputy Superintendents, Police Inspectors, Assistant Police Inspectors and Sub Inspectors. It also provides training in various fields to serving state police officers.
Job Profile and Vacancies of Bihar Police Constable
The Police Stations are manned by officers of the rank of Sub-Inspectors, Assistant Sub-Inspectors. Head Constables and Constables both in Law and Order duties as well as investigation and the in charge of the Police Station is an officer of the rank of Inspector or Sub-Inspector. The job of Police officers includes a various duties to fulfill, among them some are as follows:-
1. Registration of FIR/NCR
2. Investigation of the cases, arrest of the accused, recovery of stolen property,
Challenging of the cases and prosecution.
3. Recording report regarding missing persons and children and tracing them.
4. Verification of servants/ chowkidars and tenants and registration of security agencies.
5. Granting permission for loud-speakers, rallies, political/ religious functions.
6. Checking of banks.
7. Providing documents for filling claim in Motor Accident Claim Tribunal.
8. Providing Guards for the transportation of cash, if required, as per police rules.
There are many posts that fall under a Police Hierarchal level. Exam for each posts are conducted separately, both internally (for department candidate only) and externally. A hierarchal view of these posts is:
- Head Constable
- Assistant Sub – Inspector
- Sub – Inspector
- Deputy Superintendent of Police
- Superintendent of Police
- Inspector General of Police
- Director General of Police
There are two types of posts for Constable, i.e., Constable Fireman & Constable GD (General Duty). There are a total no. of 11865 vacancies for the post of Constable both GD & Fireman (9900 for GD and 1965 for Fireman), out of which, 5937 vacancies are for General, 1898 vacancies are for SC, 118 vacancies are for ST, 2141 vacancies are for EBC, 1413 vacancies are for Backward Class and 358 vacancies for Backward Class (Female).
A post – wise and category – wise breakdown of these vacancies is as follows.
Backward Class (Female)
Eligibility Criteria for Bihar Police Constable
There are a set of expected eligibility criteria that you should qualify to apply for Bihar Police Constable Recruitment 2019.
- Age Limit
For Bihar Police Constable,
- Minimum Age Limit: 18 years
- Maximum Age Limit: 25 years
- SC/ ST : 5 years
- OBC : 3 years
- Physically Handicapped : 10 years
- Physically Handicapped + OBC : 13 years
- Physically Handicapped + SC/ ST : 15 years
- 10 years in case of women candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes/ Scheduled Tribes/ Other Backward Classes/SBC.
- 3 years in case of the candidates belonging State Government employees and the dependents of deceased Police officers/ officials killed in the discharge of their duties.
- Educational Qualification
Candidates should possess Secondary or Class 12th from recognized Board/ School or equivalent examination for District Police and should pass Class VIII from the recognized School/ Board.
- Physical Eligibility
There is a set of physical eligibility criteria too for post of Bihar Police Constable. Candidate must have to qualify it, if they want to apply for this post.
General/ OBC/ SC/ ST
81 - 86 cms.
79 - 84 cms.
Bihar Police Constable Syllabus & Exam Pattern
Recruitment Exam for the post of Bihar Police Constable is conducted in 3 phases: Knowledge Written Test (KWT), Physical Measurement Test (PMT) and Medical Test.
Knowledge Written Test (KWT) is an Objective Based Exam. Exam of this phase is further divided into 3 sections. This KWT is of 100 marks and carries 100 questions.
Physical Measurement Test (PMT) is qualifying in nature. PMT is conducted after qualifying Knowledge Written Test. It is conducted to judge physical fitness and endurance.
Medical Test is the last phase for selection.
Bihar Police Constable – Written Knowledge Test (KMT)
Knowledge Written Test is an Objective Based Exam. Exam of this phase is further divided into 5 sections. This KWT is of 100 marks and carries 100 questions.
No. of Questions
Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, Geography, Polity, Economics (Choose any 2 subjects)
25 + 25
Bihar Police Constable – Physical Measurement Test (PMT)
Physical Measurement Test is conducted after qualifying Knowledge Written Test and Physical Screening Test. Those candidates who qualify Knowledge Written Test will be called for Physical Measurement Test. Below are the requirements for the candidates for the Physical Measurement Test.
General/ OBC/ SC/ ST
81 - 86 cms.
79 - 84 cms.
1.6 kms. in 6 minutes
1 kms. in 6 minutes
16 pound, 16 feet through
12 pound, 10 feet through
Bihar Police Constable – Medical Test (MT)
- Merit List will be declared as per marks obtained Written Exam and PMT.
- Candidate should be free from any physical defeat.
- Candidate must be in good mental and physical condition.
- Candidate should posses high color vision.
- Candidate should be without wearing glasses, and the minimum distant vision should be 6/6 and 6/9 of two eyes without correction.
- Candidate must not have knock knee, flat foot, varicose vein or squint in eyes.
Bihar Police Exam Date
Bihar Police has yet not released its exam dates calendar for the post of Constable Recruitment 2019. A tentative exam date schedule of Bihar Police Recruitment 2017 - 18 is given below.
Online Application Starts From
|31 July, 2017|
Last Date to Apply Online
30 August, 2017
Last Date for Fee Payment
30 August, 2017
Last Date for Correction
|30 August, 2017 |
Admit Card Availability
|23 September, 2017 |
15th - 22nd October, 2019
12 June, 2018