Railway Recruitment Board (RRB) recruits candidates for the post of Junior Engineer (JE) by releasing an official notification.
Indian Railways is one of the biggest government employers in India. Every year, the Railway Recruitment Board (RRB) conducts its recruitment exercise to induct suitable candidates for various posts. Of all the notified vacancies, the engineering field is the most prominent.
The Railway Recruitment Boards (RRBs) recruiting 13,487 candidates for the post of Junior Engineer (JE), Junior Engineer – Information Technology (JE – IT), Depot Material Superintendent (DMS) and Chemical & Metallurgical Assistant (CMA) in 2019.
The Railway Junior Engineer Posts includes the candidates from the IT, Mechanical, Civil and Electrical Branch.
Job Profile and Vacancies of RRB – JE
There are many job roles for the candidates posted for Junior Engineer. Candidates of different department have to perform different types of work and action.
The major roles and responsibilities of a RRB Civil Junior Engineer:
- Take responsibilities for maintenance and construction of Railway building including staff quarters, encroachment of railway land, water supply to these buildings, etc.
- Periodical and Accounting verification of stores and tools in his charge.
- Ensuring that railway track is maintained in a better way for allowing safe, smooth and fast movements of trains.
- Bridge maintenance, workshop and construction in railway division.
- Making the estimation, drawing of work need to put for full platform readiness.
- Creation of Assets, such as Platform Extension Work, Platform Shed Construction/ Repairs, Painting, etc.
The major roles and responsibilities of a RRB Electrical Junior Engineer:
- Maintenance of electric locomotive, equipment overhead and traction distribution, lighting & air conditioning (AC) of train, power supply, safety system etc.
- Producing and safeguarding the Main Line EMUs (MEMUs), Electrical Multiple Units (EMUs) and Electric Locomotives.
The major roles and responsibilities of a RRB Electronics & Telecommunication Junior Engineer:
- Look after the signaling installation of the stations.
- Finalizing the proposal for work budget, revenue, periodic review
The major roles and responsibilities of a RRB Mechanical Junior Engineer:
- Look after the conditions of components of goods wagons and passengers coaches.
- To make a defect free rolling stocks, i.e., diesel.
The major roles and responsibilities of a RRB IT Junior Engineer:
- RRB IT JE is a website maker and is responsible for updating the content on the website of railway every day.
- Working and availability of IT hardware and software needed in the office environment like photocopy machine, fax machine, etc.
RRB has released approx 13,487 vacancies this year for the post of Junior Engineer. Here is a department – wise break – down of vacancies for the post of Junior Engineer.
No. of Vacancies
Junior Engineer (Information Technology)
Chemical and Metallurgical Assistant
Eligibility Criteria for RRB – JE
There are a set of expected eligibility criteria that you should qualify to apply for RRB JE Recruitment Exam.
- Age Limit
- Minimum Age Limit : 18 years
- Maximum Age Limit : 33 years
- SC/ ST: 5 years
- OBC: 3 years
- Physically Disabled: 10 years
- Physically Disabled + OBC: 13 years
- Physically Disabled + SC/ ST: 15 years
- Educational Qualification
A complete degree/ diploma in Engineering from a recognized University/ Institution in India.
- Junior Engineer: Diploma/ Degree in Engineering or relevant stream prescribed against various posts.
- Depot Material Superintendent: Degree/ Diploma in Engineering from nay discipline.
- Junior Engineer (IT): PGDCA/ B.Sc. (Computer Science)/ BCA/ B. Tech. (IT)/ B. Tech. (Computer Science)/ DOEACC B Level course of 3 years duration or equivalent from recognized University/ Institution.
- Chemical & Metallurgical Assistant: Bachelors’ Degree in Science with Physics and Chemistry with minimum 55% marks.
RRB – JE Exam Pattern & Syllabus
RRB JE exam is conducted in 3 phases: CBT Stage 1, CBT Stage 2 and Document Verification.
CBT Stage 1 is an Objective Based Online Mode Exam. CBT Stage 1 has 4 sections, for 100 marks of 100 questions and a total time of 90 minutes.
CBT Stage 2 is an also an Objective Based Online Mode Exam. CBT Stage 2 has 5 sections, for 150 marks and 150 questions and composite time of 120 minutes.
Document Verification/ Medical Examination is the final phase of recruit for this post.
RRB – JE Computer Based Test Stage – 1
CBT Stage 1 is an Objective Based Online Mode Exam. CBT Stage 1 has 4 sections, namely, Mathematics, General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness and General Science, which contains 100 questions for 100 m arks and composite time of 90 minutes.
No. of Questions
General Intelligence & Reasoning
RRB – JE Computer Based Test Stage – 2
CBT Stage 2 is an also an Objective Based Online Mode Exam. CBT Stage 2 has 5 sections, which are General Awareness, Physics & Chemistry, Basics of Computer Applications, Basics of Environmental & Pollution Control and Technical Abilities, for 150 marks and 150 questions and time of 120 minutes as a whole.
Physics & Chemistry
Basics of Computer Applications
Basics of Environmental and Pollution Control
RRB – JE Document Verification/ Medical Examination
Document Verification/ Medical Examination are the final phase of selection to qualify for RRB Junior Engineer. All candidates successful in Document Verification are sent for Medical Examination.
Visual Acuity Standard is one of the important criteria of medical fitness of Railway staff.
RRB – JE Exam Date
RRB has released exam dates for the post of Junior Engineer for year 2019. The scheduled exam dates are stated below.
Online Registration Starts From
2 January, 2019
Last Date to Register Online
31 January, 2019
Last Date to Make Payment
4 February, 2019
Last to Complete Form
7 February, 2019
Last Date to Update/ Change Language
1 May, 2019
22 May, 2019