The Staff Selection Commission will conduct an open examination for the post of Constable of General Duty (GD) in Border Security Force (BSF), Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), Shashastra Seema Bal (SSB), National Investigation Academy (NIA), Secretariat Security Force (SSF) and Rifleman (General Duty) in Assam Rifles as per the Recruitment Scheme formulated by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and as per the Memorandum of Understanding signed between Ministry of Home Affairs and the Staff Selection Commission.
Job Profile and Vacancies of SSC – GD
There are a variety of job roles or duties performed by SSC – GD according to their department and job profile. The extract of their duties of all the departments is as follows.
- He/ she will be appointed as an in-charge of guard or escort at the time of deputation.
- He/she will be liable to obey the duties handed over by the SHO to him. GD Constables come directly under the supervision of SHO. So, any other task or duties assigned by the SHO will have to be performed by the GD Constables.
- GD Constables are responsible for the overall activities in absence of Assistant Sub-Inspector and Sub-inspectors.
- He/she has authority to inquire and investigate any case, if Sub-Inspector asks him/her to do so.
- Duties of Station Writer in rural and urban areas might also be a part of GD Constable’s role.
- Apart from that, if you are promoted to Head Constable, then you will be mainly employed to be in charge of police stations.
SSC has released a total of 54953 vacancies for the post of GD, out of which 28619 vacancies are of General, 11966 vacancies are of OBC, 9455 vacancies are of SC and 4913 vacancies are of ST.
Eligibility Criteria for SSC – GD
To be eligible, for this exam you have to undergo different stages of eligibility criteria for SSC – GD.
- Age Limit
- Minimum Age Limit: 18 years
- Maximum Age Limit: 23 years
- SC/ ST: 5 years
- OBC : 3 years
- Educational Qualification
Candidate must have done High School or Matriculation from a recognized Board/ Institution. Candidates who are not fulfilling eligibility criteria will not be eligible.
- Physical Eligibility
Set of eligibility criteria for Physical Measurement Test (PMT) is as follows.
General, SC & OBC
- Weight: Weight of the candidate should be in proportion to the height.
- Chest Expansion
General, SC & OBC
80 / 5
76 / 5
SSC – GD Syllabus & Exam Pattern
SSC – GD Exam is conducted in 3 phases: Written Exam, Physical Standard Test/ Physical Efficiency Test (PST/ PET) and Medical Test.
Written Exam is an Objective Based Exam. It consists of 4 sections, each section is of 25 marks and carries 25 questions. A composite time – duration of 120 minutes is allotted for exam.
Physical Standard Test/ Physical Efficiency Test (PST/ PET) are the second phase for selection. It is qualifying in nature.
Medical Test is the last phase of selection for SSC – GD.
SSC – GD Written Exam
Written Exam is an Objective Based Exam. It consists of 4 sections, General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness & General Awareness, Elementary Mathematics and English/ Hindi, each section is of 100 marks and carries 100 questions. A composite time – duration of 120 minutes is allotted for exam.
General Intelligence & Reasoning
Composite duration of 120 minutes
General Awareness & General Awareness
SSC – GD Physical Standard Test/ Physical Efficiency Test (PST/ PET)
Physical Standard Test/ Physical Efficiency Test (PST/ PET) are the second phase for selection. It is qualifying in nature. All candidates will have to undergo physical endurance & measurement test. The Physical test doesn't carry any marks but it is very crucial for you to clear it.
SSC – GD Physical Standard for Male Candidates,
Height – 170 cms.
Chest – 81 (Unexpanded), 85 (Expanded)
Race – 5 kms. in 24 minutes. (1 Mile for Ladakh Region - 6 ½ Minutes)
SSC – GD Physical Standard for Female Candidates,
Height – 157 cms.
Chest – There is no chest measurement for female candidates.
Race – 1.6 kms. in 8 ½ minutes. (800 meters for Ladakh Region - 4 minute)
SSC – GD Medical Test
- Candidate should be free from any physical defeat.
- Candidate must be in good mental and physical condition.
- Candidate should posses high color vision.
- Candidate should be without wearing glasses, and the minimum distant vision should be 6/6 and 6/9 of two eyes without correction.
- Candidate must not have knock knee, flat foot, varicose vein or squint in eyes.
SSC – GD Exam Date
The recruitment procedure of SSC – GD 2018 is still in process. Here is a list of upcoming exam activity according to SSC GD Exam Calendar 2019.
Online Application Starts From
17 August, 2018
Last Date to Apply Online
30 September, 2018
Last Date to Pay Fees
30 September, 2019
Last Date for Correction
18 October, 2019
Admit Card Available
Exam Date for Online CBT
11 February to 11 March, 2019
20 June, 2019
PET Admit Card Available
30 July, 2019
PET Exam Date
August – September, 2019